Click Link takes too long on pending status

Description:
I submit a form, and some times the server takes too long to respond. If you open the DevTools, in the network tab you can see the request on pending status.

*** Keywords ***
Download Information
    [Arguments]                                 ${type} 
    Input text                                     id:type                                 ${type}
    Submit Form

Question:
How can I put some timeout on this action, to limit how long the robot should wait?

You can increase timeout beforehand, for example with selenium there is Set Selenium Timeout
With Playwright you could use Wait For Response keyword.

Thank you for you answer!!
I Already try Set Selenium Timeout, but it doesn’t work.
This is what I’ve tried:

*** Keywords ***
Download Information
    Input text                                     id:type                                 ${type}
    Set Selenium Timeout                20 seconds
    Submit Form
    Log To Console                          It should fail if it takes more than 20 seconds to reach this line

But it took 60 seconds and the Keywords did not fail

Then I would suggest to wait for the event happening after Submit Form, some element from next screen for example

What I’ve tried was:

*** Keywords ***
Download Information
    Submit Form
    Log To Console                          It should log right after submit form
    Wait Until Location Is                 ${the_url_tha_comes_with_the_requested_info}              timeout=10

But it took 60 second to Log To Console be executed

But then Set Selenium Timeout to 60 seconds or more. And revert it to original afterwards.

The problem is that I want to limit the time that the robot should take to complete this task, if this task reach the timeout it must go to the next step. Some thing like this:

*** Keywords ***
Download Information
    Submit Form
    [Teardown]     Log If Fails     ${type}

*** Keywords ***
Log If Fails
    [Arguments]     ${type}
    IF    '${KEYWORD_STATUS}' == 'FAIL'
    Log To Console     The type: ${type} Fail!!
    END

*** Tasks ***
    @{list}=                       Create List             word             excel           teams
    FOR    ${type}    IN   @{list}
         Run Keyword And Continue On Failure     Download Information     ${type}
    END

The result I expect is:

• All the types in the list should be executed
  • Any type that takes more than 20 seconds should be log to the console

Continuing from Raivo’s suggestion. Is there something that happens always after you submit the form, for example, a certain element appears after the submit (if the submit succeeds)?

So, maybe submit the form, then call one of the “wait until something” keywords (using a suitable timeout). At least to see if those respect the given timeout better.

Thank you for your answer.
There is a button to cancel the operation, as soon as I submit the form.
But as show here the code below the submit form get executed only after the server response.

Strange. I wonder if using one of the “click” keywords would behave differently than Submit Form. :thinking:

Maybe a click followed by Wait Until Element Is Not Visible to see that the cancellation button goes away within the timeout limit?

1 Like

If you want to act based on outcome maybe try Run Keyword And Ignore Error then you can use status to decide what do perform next.
Example from my robot:

${success}    Run Keyword And Ignore Error    Send Mail To Vendor With Invoice
    ...                                           ${vendor_email}
    ...                                           ${invoice_number}
    ...                                           ${ticket_number}
    ...                                           ${ticket_sys_id}
    ...                                           ${attachment_name}
    ...                                           ${filepath}
    IF    '${success[0]}' == 'PASS'
        Update Ticket Information On Success    ${ticket_sys_id}
    ELSE
        Update Ticket Information On Failure    ${ticket_sys_id}
        Fail    Failed to send email
    END

EDIT: Missed the response part after submit form, then like @jani mentioned click action is worth to try.

1 Like

Yes, it strange. I’ve tried with Click Element, Click Link. But I get the same behavior, the execution get stacked to the Click until the server responds.

*** Keywords ***
Download Information
    Click Element                             xpath://button[@type='submit']
    Wait Until Location Is                 ${the_url_tha_comes_with_the_requested_info}              timeout=10

*** Keywords ***
Download Information
    Click Link                                    xpath://button[@type='submit']

Thanks for that, that keyword(Run Keyword And Ignore Error) will be useful for me. But I think I should change my strategy to handle my this use case, because, in the documentation they explain that the timeout error will not be catch by this keyword.

Hello @Raivo and @jani,
The Keyword Run Keyword And Ignore Error did work fine with timeout error.
Thank you for your help!!

3 Likes