Code/syntax highlighting of extension'Robot Framework Language Server' version v0.17.0 and upwards is 'off'

Hi,

I’ve been using the latest version of Microsoft VS Code to write my testcases for Robot Framework on a Windows 8.1 based virtual desktop. I’ve installed the ‘Robot Framework Language Server’ extension, which took care of both IntelliSense and syntax highlighting.

Very recently I received a new virtual desktop, this time based on Windows 10.
On this virtual desktop I installed Robot Framework and VS Code and in VS Code the above mentioned extension again, just as I had done on my Windows 8 based virtual desktop.

After installation on my Windows 10 I noticed that the highlighting of the Robot Framework code is ‘off’. The closing square braces have a different color than the opening square braces.

While trying to find a possible cause or solution for this problem, I downgraded the extension from its current and most recent version 0.18.0 to version 0.13.1. This fixed the syntax highlighting issue. The opening and closing square braces match in color.

From version 0.13.1 I gradually upgraded the extension, each time reloading the workspace and checking my existing Robot Framework code to see if the syntax highlighting was still OK. This way I noticed that the issue of the syntax highlighting being ‘off’ was introduced in version 0.17.0.

So I would like to report this as a bug. But I don’t know how to go about it.
Or maybe its a user error… :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity :smiley: Are you using any themes for Code?

Hi Raivo,

I’ve checked the themes. It seems that VS Code uses the theme “Dark+ (default dark)” by default after installation. This theme causes the syntax highlighting to be ‘off’, it shows the opening square parentheses in a different color than the closing one.

I changed the theme to “Dark (Visual Studio)” and all the ‘off’ syntax highlight coloring was fixed.

So I tried all themes available by default and have found several themes that have the same problem:

• Light+ (default light)
  • Quiet Light
  • Abyss
  • Dark+ (default dark)
  • Kimbie Dark
  • Monokai
  • Monokai Dimmed
  • Red
  • Tomorrow Night Blue
  • High Contrast

The below themes DON’T have the issue mentioned above:

• Light (Visual Studio)
  • Solarized Light
  • Dark+ (Visual Studio)
  • Polarized Dark

I’m sticking with theme “Dark+ (Visual Studio)” for now.

This still leaves the question why the ‘off’ coloring of the syntax was introduced with ‘Robot Framework Language Server’ version 0.17.0 and still exists in the most recent version (0.18.0).

Thanks for your help.

1 Like