Extracting work Item values via API

Good Morning Experts.

I am looking for a way to extract the work item variables (that were set during a process run) for use in subsequent steps via API.

I have had a look at the API documentation and can access details of the robot run, but was hoping to extract work item data values directly.

I also looked at the webhook functionality (which would be my preference) but there does not seem to be a elegant way to access this data (but perhaps I have missed it). I can of course output the Work items as an run artefact, but that does not “feel” right.

Any help appreaciated,

Thanks Warren

1 Like

One option is to use https://robocorp.com/docs/libraries/rpa-framework/rpa-robocloud-items

There are keywords for setting and getting values and files.

Thank you Teppo, yes I am already using this to set values within the Task itself. I am now wanting to view these items for use in the next process i.e. Want to write back from values to a source system (this is an external system, hence I want to use the API to query values contained in the data pipeline),

I have also just reread this announcement - so it looks the API will be developed soon. I will create a work around in the mean time.

Ah, ok. So you want to read the variables outside of the “Robocloud Process” that stored the data to the work item? I first understood that you were reading it inside the same process - in some later step.

Yes correct - here is how I invoke the process from Zapier - so wanted to use a subsequent step to interrogate details.

Thanks for your assistance, Warren

Edit:
Adding this for those that are trying to achieve something similar (just created an HTTP post webhook with payload). Robocorp doc link

1 Like

Hello Warren, we will be adding support to interact (CRUD-operations) with work items in the storages (Input, Failed, Output) via API as a part of upcoming data pipeline updates. That should be able to address the use case.

2 Likes